Subscribe to the Podcast | View all EPISODES >> Wbru

A Brief Eulogy for a Commercial Radio Station

Oct 04, 2017

The Memory Palace is a proud member of Radiotopia, from PRX, a curated network of extraordinary, story-driven shows.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

23 Comments on A Brief Eulogy for a Commercial Radio Station

1. dawn says:

No! What will I listen to when I go home?! This is sad news, at a time when we don’t need anymore. Love the podcast though….

2. Kevin-John Black says:

sigh… I too grew up listening to 95.5 in Pawtucket. Then years later, while at Brown, I had friends that worked there. Spun records at Jazz after hours and then some of them went on to work in the business… like Chris Bannon.

Thanks for putting a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye.

…. as Roman would say… “You beautiful bastard.”

Best,

Kevin-John Black

3. Owen Rodgers says:

This is just terrific. I was hearing my station again for five minutes. It was a memory I didn’t know I had. Thank you for producing it, Nate.

4. Dear Nate

“A Brief Eulogy for a Commercial Radio Station,” is extraordinary.

Clive

5. Wonderfully evocative of was once a deeply personal and nearly universal experience.

6. Chris Bannon says:

Nate, I can’t thank you enough for this. WBRU gave me pretty much everything I have now. I can’t really find the words to express all that, but fortunately I don’t have to now. Magnificent and deeply moving.

7. Mike Hester says:

It was WRVU in Nashville. How else would I have fallen in love with Ride? And now WRVU is gone, but Ride is back!

8. Sean Kent says:

Thanks so much for the wonderful story about BRU, this truly was my station since I was delivering the Brockton Enterprise newspaper as a 4th grader and listening to my walkman. I too drove to the beach blasting BRU, went to dozens of concerts at the now defunct Lupo’s in downtown Providence and probably just as many in India Point Park on the waterfront sponsored by BRU. I couldn’t believe it when I flipped on the station on my way home from work on October 2nd that wasn’t BRU anymore, completely shocked. It’s a major bummer and thanks for the wonderful piece.

9. Brandon says:

I love the Memory Palace, but I am often completely lost while listening to it. Your voice is too hypnotic and I have trouble actually grasping the subject you’re trying to cover. It would be awesome if you would add a brief blurb about what the episode is actually about in the notes so that I can then Google it and read up on it myself. Or reference links?

10. Heather Powell says:

I’ve listened to this twice and cried both times. When WDRE and WHFS disappeared, so many moments of my life did too. This was beautiful, Nate. Thank you..

11. Nina Ely says:

It was WIFI 92 in Philadelphia for me. Great episode Nate. Thank you.

12. Kevin Smokler says:

WIQB, Rock 103 in Ann Arbor. That musical queue at the end is exquisite. Bravo, Nate. Beautiful work.

13. Gary Avery says:

You’ve had a lot of excellent episodes, but this… this was poetry. The soundtrack to my youth came from a handful of radio stations that are gone now, and the songs are inextricably bound up with those memories of the first tastes of freedom, love, and mischief. Thanks for the eulogy, it’s a fitting term, and thanks for your work.

14. Jane Oliver says:

This is the most beautiful episode of the Memory Palace yet. It made me cry. Thank you.

15. JB says:

I’m of the area. We recently lost another station, WUMD of UMASS Dartmouth from the air wave (they still broadcast online). WBRU is a mixed bag for me. I used to love it probably up till 2003 or so, and the quality of Dj went really downhill really fast, so they kind of signed their own death sentence (When was the last time you actually tune in to 95.5 to listen for the quality of broadcasting?). On top of it, it was the radio station that agreed to sell itself to the highest bidder, unlike in the case of WUMD that was sold without the knowledge of the station. Anyway, the point is that we have a fundamental problem, so to speak, where we submit to whatever the bottom-line is. I have no idea how to change that.

16. David Caldwell says:

CFNY 102.1 for me,

Really well done, thank you 🙂

17. John says:

Well, that brought a tear to my eye.

18. Emily says:

CKCU 93.1 in Ottawa for me. Thank you, Nate.

19. Jeff Mitchell says:

Thanks Nate, fellow WBRU listener from RI.

20. Helen says:

89.3 The Current in Saint Paul, MN for me. Thanks for this beautifully engineered episode! So well done

21. Steph says:

Thank you for this! From someone who grew up on bru and worked their ass off specifically so they could get into brown and be a part of that wonderful, inspiring, exciting station. And I did. And I was. And now, living in Montreal on this Canadian Thanksgiving, I am thankful. So thankful that bru was there when it was there to help make me who I am. Sidenote, I occasionally fill in on the rock station here… and have on more than one occasion snuck in Vapour Trail, late on a Saturday night… hoping somewhere there’s a group of kids listening in their car with the windows down, arms outstretched, hands surfing through the air…

22. Chris Bell says:

For me, the consciousness-expanding radio station of my teenage life in New Jersey was WBAI listener-supported radio, broadcasting off the Empire State Building in NYC. I was especially into Steve Post’s program “Room 101”.