Subscribe to the Podcast | View all EPISODES >> Elmer

Elmer McCurdy Rides Again and Again

Jul 18, 2017

The Memory Palace is a proud member of Radiotopia, from PRX, a curated network of extraordinary, story-driven shows.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Notes

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

13 Comments on Elmer McCurdy Rides Again and Again

1. Ayo says:

Great storytelling!

2. In the opening sentence of this episode, my mind instantly went to this:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InxDB7PHykQ

Do you know at all if this song is based on Elmer McCurdy? If not, apparently this is more common than one might expect.

3. Adam says:

No more rhyming episodes, please! I couldn’t even finish it!

4. John Goggin says:

You should check out “The Ballad of Elmer McCurdy” written by Thomas Thornburg. Back in the late 70’s I sat at his dining room table while he recited great swaths of it from … memory.

5. Tomas says:

Honestly, one of my top 10 episodes already. This was amazing, Nate!

6. Ken Pimple says:

#DaveMcElvenney got to it before me (apparently a fellow fan of Don McLean). But it also reminded me of “The Shooting of Dan McGrew” by Robert W. Service. I loved the story and the poem.

7. Jake says:

Fantastic episode, Nate! One of my all-time favorites.

8. Paul says:

Details have been changed, but this one is essentially the same story as well.

9. bashe says:

I was able to finish it, but with several loud exhales and many eye-rolls along the way. I’m happy you tried it, but the verdict is in: no more rhyming episodes—please!

10. kansan says:

Arkansas City, Kansas, is pronounced “Ar-kan-sas City”, not “Arkansaw City”, by Kansans. People usually just call it “Ark City” though. Seems like this was a polarizing episode, but I bet it was really fun to write.

11. Jordan Daniels says:

I’ve listened to this episode about 10 times already and read up on Elmer McCurdy. Now I know the reason that, every summer, people at Pinecrest Lake yell out “Elmer” at twilight. I’m going to memorize your telling of the story so I can share it around the campfire, with a reference to the great Nate DiMeo.

12. L says:

Incredible lyricism! You are truly talented. Perfect ending line with dual meaning.

13. Clay B says:

I liked it. Thought it was a Robert Service poem for a while.