Subscribe to the Podcast | View all EPISODES >> new-hawkins

Under our Feet

Oct 28, 2016

The Memory Palace is a proud member of Radiotopia, from PRX, a curated network of extraordinary, story-driven shows.

Notes
* This episode came by special request from my daughter, who heard about Waterhouse Hawkins in her second grade classroom. She came home and said, “Dad, I think I’ve got a good Memory Palace story for you.”
* She and I found a great kids book called The Dinosaurs of Waterhouse Hawkins, by Barbara Kerley.
* Grownup readers might want to check out All in the Bones by Valerie Bramwell and Robert Peek.

* We start off and finish with Kola, Lighthouse Version by amiina.
* We hear their Leather and Lace as well.
* There’s Mountain Path, by WMD.
* We hear Prelude for Piano and Malaria by Worrytrain.
* We also hear Manny Returns Home from Bernard Hermann’s score to The Wrong Man.
* And Krolock on Sledge from the fantastic score to The Fearless Vampire Killers.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments on Under our Feet

1. Jennifer says:

I haven’t finished listening to the episode yet–I was too excited to finish before sending you this comment.

I was just at the British Museum of Natural History (where Owen did all his work) a couple days ago. Even according to them, Owen didn’t discover anything. It was either Mary Martell or her paleontologist husband Gideon who found the bones. Gideon Martell thought they looked like a giant iguana, and he did all of the preliminary work. Owen claimed the credit though.

2. Jordan Tobin says:

Thank you so much for this one! A particularly personal episode for me as an American who now lives in South London. I happen to live very near to Crystal Palace and I pass these dinosaurs every weekend on my long run. It still feels magical every time! It was great to hear about them from a non-London perspective, but heartbreaking to picture their creator scrabbling in the dirt in New York. Thanks for shining a light on our neighborhood park — and thanks for all of your wonderful, important story-telling.

3. Chris L says:

Another amazing episode. The image of Hawkins digging around for the pieces of his dinosaurs; the comment about the bird-like dinosaurs we can’t quite get our minds—or our hearts—around. Bravo.

4. Mike Davis says:

You guys need a download button on your site. Many of my friends say the same thing. They walk or ride their bicycle and want to be able to download an episode on their media player.

Thank you for the suggestion. Look for it soon.

6. Chris says:

This episode made me cry on my way to the office.

Up until about 4 months ago, I lived in Crystal Palace, directly opposite Waterhouse Hawkins’ former house as it happens, and loved it there. Many an afternoon were spent wandering around Crystal Palace Park with my partner and son, looking at the dinosaurs, including the banquet-hosting Iguanadon affectionately known by the locals as ‘Iggy’.

In July, we all emigrated to Toronto, and whilst it too is a wonderful city, my heart will always be in London, and my time in Crystal Palace was a large part of that. This episode made me feel genuinely homesick for the first time since arriving in Canada, but that homesickness was carried by a wave of incredibly fond memories. Thank you.

7. What a lovely poetic telling of the story of our main hero! We founded an organisation to save Waterhouse Hawkins’ stupendous monsters in Crystal Palace Park; we are Friends of CP Dinosaurs.

For all of you who love this story, please come to our site and ‘like’ us on FB and follow us on Twitter too. Be the first to know any CP Dino related news! We’d love to have your support in any way you can.
    @cpdinosaurs

8. Katie Page says:

This was such a wonderful episode. The image of Waterhouse digging in the mud was so vivid and heartbreaking. And, as always, I had to look up the images and more information as soon as I finished listening (and discovered sooo much about his “marriages”). Keep up the awesome work!!!