Subscribe to the Podcast | View all EPISODES >> overland

Overland

Feb 24, 2016

The Memory Palace is a proud member of the Radiotopia network.

Notes
Nearly all the research for this one comes straight out of the highly-readable,
Cap’n George Fred, G.F. Tilton’s 1925 autobiography. I got my copy at a used bookstore for $11. It’s easy to find on eBay and Amazon and whatnot. Totally money well spent.

* First up is Lacrymae by Melodium.
* Then we mix in Every Mournful Breath by Slow Meadow
* Meeting the Neighbors from Marcelo Zarvos’ score to the delightful, Please Give, makes a return appearance.
* There’s Steve Reich’s “Music for Pieces of Wood,” as performed by Smoke and Mirrors Percussion Ensemble.
* Yes, that’s Immigrant Song, from Zeppelin III.
* There’s a bit of Frost Trees from Lalo Schifrin’s extraordinary score to The Fox, from 1967.
* End credits, as always, is Wien, by La Bradford. Buy their music, please.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

15 Comments on Overland

1. John says:

I wonder if you have read “Desperate Journeys, Abandoned Souls” by Edward Leslie?

2. Charles Code says:

Wow, incredible story, fantastically told. I’m a new palace convert from London (the one on the island), and have really enjoyed the few I’ve heard so far. I especially like stories like this, with a strong sense of history and adventure. Abe Simpson is right – folk sure were tougher back then than nowadays. Reminded me in parts of The Revenant, and its depiction of what hellish conditions people could endure back then. Thanks alot Nate, your dulcet tones make my walk to work far more interesting.

3. Brave Pixels says:

I love the image of George Fred Tilton mushing through the spindrift to Led Zepplin, like a total boss. Best palace yet!

4. Rebecca says:

The funny thing is, Tilton would probably have been just fine visiting the Inuit towns he passed. Like most cultures, Inuit groups have hospitality guidelines. There is also the tradition of setting up a cache of food for the winter which begins in very early spring, so it probably wouldn’t have even been a problem for many of the people he could have asked. Sounds like Tilton was the type to generally disregard the help that others can/did lend.

5. ACotter says:

Enjoying the episode (as with all the others) but can’t keep wondering about the sunless day comments. Near the Arctic Circle in July the sun barely sets!

6. Johnny Armstrong says:

The music adds nothing and is just distracting.
    This is not how storytelling works.
    Lose the music or lose this listener and many like me.

7. Johnny Armstrong says:

On a more positive note, the 1914 Newfoundland sealing disaster is a related tale awaiting your touch (sans music).

8. Charles Code says:

Please ignore the above – Johnny is entitled to his opinion, but I and so many others feel that the music adds SO much! It’s one of the elements that, as a new listener, is shooting the Memory Palace up my list of go-to podcasts…

9. Thank you so much!

For the last five years your podcast has been my absolute favorite.
    “The Glowing Orbs” and “Distance” are just wonderful.

You are a unique and valuable voice.

10. Elizabeth Anne says:

Genius use of Led Zeppelin! Love the musical choices and narrative–each a valuable tool for storytelling. (Goodbye, Johnny!)

11. Pingback: ally's commute survival list #5 | ally

12. Johnny says:

The people have spoken! See ya!

13. Tom says:

The music is fine by me — except that sometimes it’s a little to loud interfering with listening to the story.

14. Tom says:

Of course that should read “too”. 🙁

15. Mark Gelter says:

“This is not how storytelling works.”

Movies are storytelling. Songs are storytelling. Theatre is storytelling. Poems are storytelling. Paintings and sculpture are storytelling. All art is storytelling. Who are you (Johnny), to tell Nate or anyone else “this is not how storytelling works”? Just because it’s not the way YOU would do it doesn’t make it not valid or real or exactly what Nate intends it to be. It’s Nate’s site; and you’re free to go because he’s not going to change the fundamental way he chooses to tell stories just to please you.

But Nate . . . yes, sometimes the music is too prominent in the mix.