Subscribe to the Podcast | View all EPISODES >> Shore Leave

Shore Leave

Nov 19, 2015

* Under the credits is Harlaamstrat 74 off of John Dankworth’s Modesty Blaise score.
* First up is one of my very favorite recordings of all time: Andromeda from Chris McGregor’s Brotherhood of Breath. One of the finest bands ever assembled.
* The sailors get grumpy to Sito from Pierre Favre and the European Chamber Ensemble. (The end drum loop comes from that piece too).
* The guys run off to save the day to Edgar Meyer and Mark O’Connor doing the Green Groves of Erin.
* That turns into, In Threes by Loscil.

* Some of the details in here originate from a fine piece that appeared in the Saturday Evening Post in May of 1944. You can read it here.
* Other solid write ups:
From The Book of New York
The U.S.C.G.
The Fire-fighter’s Museum

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

17 Comments on Shore Leave

1. Thelma says:

This one made me sob. Had to listen to the last two minutes twice. Also, loved the score and how it faded out.

2. Ann says:

This episode was so powerful and hit me right in the feels! Great choice to end the season! Sincere thanks for doing what you do! Looking forward to the 2016 season.

3. Glenn says:

Great episode. I have never heard the story of the SS El Estero. Thanks.

4. jeremy says:

Great show, Nate. I love the tension between the preparation for a night on the town and the desperate call to duty.

5. T pleune says:

Wow. That was incredible.

6. Lane says:

Love this podcast but this episode’s music was way too loud; Could barely hear the content. Also, the vocal fry was out of control. Remember that’s a thing people are sensitive to and be mindful as a person who entertains with their voice.

Thank you!!! Can’t wait for more episodes!

7. Corey says:

I love this podcast, but I have been unable to download the current episode “80” on Stitcher. I’ve been trying to download/plan for a few days with no luck. Thought you should now about it.

8. Adam says:

*Haarlemstraat, 74 apt. c

Which is still a typo itself.

I believe this is a problem on the Stitcher side. I’ll see if I can get them to do something about it…

10. Irene says:

Corey – this is a problem with Stitcher. I could not get it to download to my tablet either. But listening to the download on my laptop is good enough.

Thanks, Nate, for another deeply moving episode. I look forward to next season. Happy Holidays, all.

11. Norman says:

I listened to this episode and thought about my stepson who serves in the US Coast Guard. It is a testament to the men and women who put their lives on the line daily for us. The Coast Guard is a small group with a big job.

12. Angela says:

What an incredible episode! So amazing how you find these buried stories and turn them into these sublime gems that just make me cry….touching some deep well of love for this odd human life of ours.

13. Patty Gibbs says:

I’m a little late to the listening party, but this was a great episode. I’ve always said there are no greater public servants than fire fighters. They put their lives on the line every day, they only come when they are called, and they will give their lives to protect people and property.

14. Ray Flood says:

You failed to mention in your story the role played by the New York CIty fireboats, notably “The Firefighter” which wasmoored securely to the side of the El Estro as it was towed to lower NY Bay where it sunk. Had the ship exploded, both the Coast Guardsmen as well as all the NYC firefighters surely would have perished.

15. Pingback: 10 Podcasts That Teachers — And Readers — Will Love: A Summer Listening List by Kevin Carlson | Nerdy Book Club

16. Barbara Biancone says:

Just came upon this incredible piece! Thanks so much for your work in putting this together. I have been doing research on the ‘subway sailors.” My father was one. He NEVER talked about it. From this piece, I gather they were not permitted to discuss. So grateful for what I learned.

17. Tom Joyce Jr. says:

My dad was in the Coast Guard and on duty on the ship that day. Those men are all hero’s. Rest in peace dad.