Subscribe to the Podcast | View all EPISODES >> Margaret Knight

no. 116,842

Nov 05,2015

It’s fundraiser time! Do you enjoy the Memory Palace? Do you want to support independent media? Then support the home of the Memory Palace, Radiotopia. Click here and become a sustaining supporter and help keep us going for a long time to come!

* Under the credits is Harlaamstrat 74 off of John Dankworth’s Modesty Blaise score.
* First bit is called Steep Hills of Vicodin Tears by A Winged Victory for the Sullen from their self-titled album.
* A brief bit of Occam II for Violin by Silvia Tarrozi scores the shuttle accident (non-NASA category).
* We’ve got Eloy by Deaf Center.
* Finish out with Call from Julianna Barwick’s album Pacing.

Notes
* There’s no, proper, grown-up biography of Margaret Knight (as far as I’ve been able to locate). Though there are a handful of kid’s books of varying degrees of charm and accuracy. She does pop up in a fair amount of “Lady Inventors!!!” collections. I read a bunch of these, but I want to single out one for its rigor: Autumn Stanley’s Mothers and Daughters of Invention.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Comments on no. 116,842

1. Stephanie says:

Nate, you’re an incredible story teller. I get completely lost in every episode. Sometimes I even get goosebumps. Never stop making shows!

2. Kiera says:

Really enjoyed this week’s episode! I went to school in Manchester, NH and worked in the renovated mill buildings. I also spent hours letting my mind wander there, turning hours into cents. What an amazing woman.

3. Tim says:

Very nicely told, sir. And I’m always impressed by the way you select music create the atmosphere for the story with it.

Speaking of music, do you have the titles of the tracks you used in this one?

4. David says:

I’m from Manchester and as soon as I heard the description of the mill I knew exactly where it was before even hearing the name. What a great story. I will become a patron and subscriber. Keep up the good work.

5. soya says:

This makes my heart soar.

6. Ryan says:

You have SUCH a gift! Love listening to these podcasts. They make my days.

7. Ken Pimple says:

This would be a perfect item to hear or broadcast in Women’s History Month (March) and/or Labor Day. Very inspiring, and, as always, beautifully produced.

@Tim: The list of tracks can be found at http://thememorypalace.us/2015/11/no-116842/. I’ve pasted it here:

* We’ve got Eloy by Deaf Center.
    * Finish out with Call from Julianna Barwick’s album Pacing.

8. Pingback: Margaret Knight | Grandma Got STEM

9. Laura says:

I’m really blown away by this episode, particularly the introduction. I think it was cinematic.

10. Chuck Braverman says:

I’m not from NH. Never worked in a mill. First podcast of yours I have listened to. Wonderful. Thanks.

11. JM says:

I LOOOOVED this – until the last line. Of course she didn’t “need” loads of cash….but screw whether or not she had heirs— imagine how much MORE she could have done if money was never even an issue? Thomas Edison certainly had less to worry about AND had something for his heirs. In a world where woman STILL don’t have equal pay – that last sentence left a bad taste in my mouth.

12. Pingback: Podcasts – Storytelling & New Ideas - MiBurg

13. Pingback: Media Favs From 2015 – Ed Gutman

14. Amy says:

Listened to this while working a very rote job of my own. Maybe I’ll go back to making things one day (I was a sculpture BFA). Until then, this podcast was a great find today, as I let my mind wander.

15. Jared says:

You should really link these episodes to the Wikipedia References!