Subscribe to the Podcast | View all EPISODES >> Audubon

Artist in Landscape

Nov 12, 2015

* Under the credits is Harlaamstrat 74 off of John Dankworth’s Modesty Blaise score.
* They first meet to a piece called Brouillard (version 1) from Georges Delaure’s extraordinary score to Jules et Jim. (A second version comes in later when J.J. Audubon is living the high life in England).
* We also hear Waltz by Mother Falcon.
* I go back to the Marcelo Zarvos/Please Give well when the Scotsman arrives at their store. Note: it’s the go-to soundtrack for “People Arriving at One’s Store With A Life Changing Proposition” here at the Memory Palace. Also: go watch Please Give.
* The little piano piece is from Nathan Johnson’s score to The Day I Saw Your Heart.
* Lucy and John titter like plovers to Andrew Cyrille’s dope, skittering drums on Nuba 1.
* The especially sad bit, right before the end is Dream 3 (in the Midst of my Life), from Max Richter’s giant, From Sleep album.
* A couple times, including the ending, we hear “the Lark Ascending” from Ralph Vaughn Willliams. It is beautiful. You should buy it.

Notes
As per usual, I read a lot about the Audubons and the Bakewells.
I relied most upon the charming and smart, On the Road with John James Audubon by Mary Durant, and Carolyn DeLatte’s lovely, thoughtful book, Lucy Audubon: a Biography.
* Just a quick note: there’s a very enjoyable PBS/American Masters/Nature documentary about Audubon. It’s a fun and informative watch. But, I’ll say, you come out of that thinking that things were fundamentally swell between Lucy and John in a way that I’m not entirely sure is supported by the facts. Or jibes with, you know, human nature.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

11 Comments on Artist in Landscape

1. Cory Osborn says:

Gorgeous storytelling as usual. I had no idea Audubon was from Haiti. I guess his name would be pronounced “o dew bonh”.

Especially appreciated the Lark Ascending near the end. Such a beautiful piece.

2. Tina Carlone says:

I must thank you once again for a beautiful, stunning episode. As you’ve done so many times before Mr DiMeo, I felt transported to another time and place, and a FEELING. I can’t stop thinking about this one and I thank you for it. I also can’t get the music out of my head. I know I’ve heard it before but I can’t place it. Could you identify it for me?
    Thank you again for The Memory Palace. It holds a special place in my heart.

3. Karl G. Siewert says:

Your show often gives me an emotional reaction. You have such a gift for letting a story blossom before the listener. But this episode had me flat-out sobbing by the end. I was ugly-crying in the library parking lot and had to compose myself before I could go in to work. Thank you so much, Mr. DiMeo. You are a master.

4. Omar S. says:

This is another wonderful Memory Palace podcast. You do these stories a real justice Nick and I hope you keep it up. Glad to support you and this show, something I look forward to every week.

5. Jose Ruiz says:

I’m a big fan of the show. Thanks so much. I’m trying to figure out what the piano music is at the point when you start talking about Audubon’s drawings at 8:42 into the podcast. I tried everything mentioned above and I couldn’t find it.

Ahh. Forgot that one. I’ve plugged it in above.

7. Nate NiMeo, you’ve written and ended this episode like the true artist you are.

8. Jeanne says:

I’ve been listening to podcasts for awhile and none have given me quite the reaction I have from yours. The score of this episode was gorgeous. Thank you 🙂

9. Heather Smith says:

I’ve recently discovered your podcast, and am bingeing. But this episode is one that really got to me. See, there’s this YA novel called “OK For Now,” about a boy from a bad family who goes to the local library to pore over the huge pages from the Audubon book they have there. He sees and appreciates the sense of life and purpose given to the birds, but his interpretations of them are influenced by what’s happening to him in his own life. It’s a rough, moving book. So being as I’m a person who always connects disparate things for maximum emotional punch, the ending of this episode in conjunction with that book set me sobbing. Your gentle storytelling is always beautiful; I am moved by the way you treat all your subjects with love. But somehow the image of posing the artist and his wife the same way he’d pose the birds, making even dead things hum with life….. well, yeah. It got to me. I made my little art group listen to it. Thanks very much for what you’re doing. Your podcasts fill me with love for the wonder of the world, and for my fellowman.

10. Pingback: Dianne Tanner Sharing | Catch Up 10 - Dianne Tanner