Subscribe to the Podcast | View all EPISODES >> Mary Walker Would Wear What she Wanted

Mary Walker Would Wear What She Wanted

Oct 19, 2015

It’s fundraiser time! Do you enjoy the Memory Palace? Do you want to support independent media? Then support the home of the Memory Palace, Radiotopia. Click here and become a sustaining supporter and help keep us going for a long time to come!

*Under the credits is Harlaamstrat 74 off of John Dankworth’s Modesty Blaise score.
*The piece opens with Rainfall, by David Darling and Michael Jones.
*Her brief love story is scored by Nathan Johnson’s Penelope’s Theme from his score to The Brothers Bloom.
*When she lands her first gig, we start Garde a Vue, and roll into Le Roi de coeur, from Chantal Martineau.
* The vibraphone piece is “Opening” by Nathaniel Bartlett.
* The recurring violin piece is called Geometria del Universo by the one-named Colleen.
* It ends on Romain’s First Love, again by Georges Delarue, from his fantastic score to Promise at Dawn.

Notes
* I read a lot about Mary, but by far the most useful and most thorough works I came upon were: Sharon M. Harris’ Dr. Mary Walker: An American Radical and A Woman of Honor: Dr. Mary E. Walker and the Civil War, in which author Mercedes Graf does a great job walking the reader through Walker’s unpublished memoir.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Comments on Mary Walker Would Wear What She Wanted

1. Lulu says:

I remember studying Mary Walker in school, but this has inspired me to read her biography. Keep up the good work Nate!

2. Heather says:

Darn it, Nate. I’m crying at my desk again…in my jeans…because of Mary Walker.
    Thanks for another great story!

3. Sadie says:

Heather, you’re not alone. I too was moved to tears. Thank you Nate, excellent work! Keep ’em coming!

4. Lulu says:

Hum…Nate perhaps you should keep making episodes about women’s rights pioneers. It seems to make you very popular with the ladies. 🙂

5. Andy Curtis says:

Nate, welcome back brother! I was so pleased to see that a new Memory Palace was available this past Monday. Once again, you weave an amazing picture of a life in such short time. I agree with Lulu, I’m going to have to find her biography. Mary Walker will wear what she wants, and increasingly I believe that my wife, my daughter, my mother, and my female students can do anything and make it meaningful. Glass obstacles be damned. We listened to it twice in a row.

6. Jay says:

I’d rather Nate just continue to base episodes on whatever he finds interesting. Topics are nice but passion is better. I’d be happy if he only made a single episode a year if it meant that it was the only one he was passionate about. I think most of his listeners would agree with me as well.

7. Kim says:

Thanks so much for doing what you do, Nick.I was delighted to find a new episode, and delighted to be introduced to the incredible Mary Walker.

8. Alexa says:

Since I discovered The Memory Palace about a month ago I have been recommending it to all my friends and anyone who even vaguely mentions enjoying podcasts. I’m so glad you’re back making more, this made my day.

9. Pingback: Omnireviewer (week of Nov. 1, 2015) | Overthink everything.

10. Erin says:

I LOVED this episode. Thank you so much for all that you do and the fascinating figures that you write about. Mary Walker sees like such an interesting historical figure.

11. Pingback: Singin’ bye bye Miss Linkspammy Pie | Geek Feminism Blog

12. Pingback: Lovely Links: 12/11/15 - Already Pretty | Where style meets body image

13. Pingback: My Favorite Podcasts of 2015 | Cake Over Steak

14. Ciara says:

How many times exactly was she arrested for wearing pants? I can’t seem to find it and I’m trying to write a creative piece on her.

15. Pingback: … Coucou? | Genre !

16. Lana Waldron says:

I have studied Dr Mary Walker as a reenacter and seamstress and reproduced one of the dresses she wore in one of her pictures. She was married in a bloomer costume, had the words “honor and obey” stricken from her marriage vows and refused to take her new husbands last name. Mary was buried wearing her Medal of Honor. In 1977 Les Aspin of Wisconsin introduced a bill to restore the medal to Mary. The bill passed and her medal was restored to her. As of 1994 her name was the only female name on the list of Medal of Honor winners. Civil War Times Illustrated May/June 1994