Subscribe to the Podcast | View all EPISODES >> Charlie the Rain King

Charlie: God of Rain

Jul 13, 2015

Episode 4 of the 2015 Summer Season.

* Under the credits is Harlaamstrat 74 off of John Dankworth’s Modesty Blaise score.
* Charlie on the ladder is scored with the Prologue to the fantastic score to the film Birth, by Alexandre Desplat
* It ends with Opus 30, by Dustin O’Hallaran.
* The upbeat, fair music is a piece called Love on Matthew Herbert’s contribution to the Life in a Day soundtrack.
* Don Stewart surveys the damage to 01 Ghosts I by NIN

Notes:
I read a ton about Charlie Hatfield, but nothing was as comprehensive and well-written and, frankly, enjoyable as this lovely article from this 1970 article from the Journal of San Diego History by Linda Freischlag.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments on Charlie: God of Rain

1. L says:

I visited Balboa Park for the first time this past Saturday, so I was delighted to learn a little more about events surrounding the park and the exposition.

This summer season has been great so far. They’ve been a nice cap to my Monday nights. Thank you.

2. Jeremy says:

Great show, Nate! I listened to all the shows in your archive last week. I like that they are getting longer. Your show is a gem and I hope the Radiotopia exposure gets you more recognition.

3. pat says:

The download link appears to be missing

4. DA says:

I listened to this episode while driving to the airport this morning. Now I’m sitting in a hotel in San Diego, looking out the window. After years of drought, the streets of San Diego are flooding again. This is the second day of torrential rains here, and people are only sightly more prepared now than they were in 1916. No drowning deaths yet, but several due to stunned drivers unaccustomed to rain – much less flooding streets. Is the ghost of Charlie Hatfield back for his $10K?

5. Steve says:

Spooky, this episode gets posted and this week San Diego breaks it’s July monthly rainfall record in a single day! That’s right, we had more rain just on July 18th than we have in any other recorded month of July.

6. Kathy says:

I just found this podcast, have been going through the archives, thinking what an insanely cool selection of stories lies within, and there’s no way this podcast could be any more up my alley.

Cue music from my favorite score of all time, Birth. Thanks for being inside my head, I guess?