Subscribe to the Podcast | View all EPISODES >> TPQ new

The Pirate Queen

Jun 21, 2015

The music:

*Under the credits is Harlaamstrat 74 off of John Dankworth’s great, ridiculous Modesty Blaise score.
*The recurring piano theme is Les Marionettes by Zbigniew Preisner from his score to La Double Vie de Veronique (And, have you seen The Double Life of Veronique? Man, that’s good)
*Eugenia’s dreamy little theme is Just Saying by Jamie XX off of In Colour
*That organ track is called Organ Track by Nicolai Dunger from The Cloud is Learning
*Al Davis’ dance theme is Watusi Bounce from Bo Diddly’s Ride On/The Chess Masters
*Helen watches Eugenia on the lawn at the Grand Hotel to the tune of To a Wild Rose by Patricia Rossborough from the collection Dainty Debutantes: Female Novelty Pianists of the 1930’s (And, ugh. Dismissive much?)
*The Judge drones over one of Scott Watson’s Six Solos for the Beginning Tuba Player from his 2008 album, Stepping Stones for Tuba, vol. 1 (like I need to tell you that)
*The ending piece is Mike Andrews lovely Library Chant from his score to Miranda July’s lovely Me and You and Everyone we Know

Notes:
I first stumbled across this story in my torn up copy of New York: Confidential! Jack Lait and Lee Mortimer’s truly mucky, muck-raking guide to the city’s underbelly from 1951. I read a ton of old news paper articles about the case (the New York Times covered it extensively, if you want to go back and read those).

The two most useful books I came across in the process were Joshua Zeitz’ Flapper and Lewis Erenberg’s Steppin’ Out: New York Nightlife and the Transformation of American Culture, 1890-1930

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

15 Comments on The Pirate Queen

1. Andrew says:

I love the show. But as someone from Northern Michigan I feel that I should just briefly note that despite the spelling “Mackinac” is pronounced as “mak-in-aw”.

As a side note the history of Mackinac Island is full of all sorts of other Memory Palace worthy stories, such as the story of Dr. William Beaumont and his patient Alexis St. Martin and the resulting breakthroughs in understanding human digestion.

Ugh. Sorry, Michigan.

3. Jeff says:

Super excited your back! Fantastic first episode of the summer.

4. Pingback: Postmortem XXVII: Best Podcasts June 15-21 - The Timbre

5. Seth says:

I’ve been waiting for this all summer. Thank you, Nate. I’m so excited for what lies ahead!

6. Melanie says:

So glad you’re in both feet, Nate! I just love listening to your work while I draw. Or nap. Or just watch the sun hang low at the end of the day.
    Congratulations!

7. Anne Marie says:

I just recently discovered The Memory Palace. I love it! I can’t wait to work my way through past and new episodes. So great!! As a Michigander, I was also going to write in about the pronunciation of Mackinac. It’s understandably confusing though. And the other commenter Andrew is correct. Mackinac Island has such an interesting history overall. Lots to explore there.

8. Ted says:

I love the podcast. The exposition is right, the stories are compelling, and its overall engaging. Still, I have two things:

1. Completely agree with Andrew, but I’m a little more passionate about this. You’re doing yourself, and your content, a disservice with easy mistakes like “Mackinack.” It’s not an “Ugh! Sorry, Michigan” error. It’s an, “Ugh, sorry listeners for not doing my homework.” The Pirate Queen is glorious, but you’re falling down the “white guy story telling wormhole,” and capitalizing on this type of content when you make such a mistake and then such an apology.

2. Watch your vocal pattern. There are up-talkers, there are down-talkers. During The Pirate Queen I was taxed by an over bearing A,B – A,B,B – A,B,B,B,A pattern of speech.

You’re great Nate, and producing things I want to hear, but there’s always room for improvement!

9. Ken Pimple says:

Nate DiMeo is a genius and the best podcast in the world (this one) has become even better. Amazing.

10. Patrick says:

Nate, another great show. The Pirate Queen and kept me up past my bedtime. Couldn’t stop listening. Consider coming to Toronto some time please. Love the show.

11. Tawny says:

So happy for this summer series!

Great first episode.

Keep on keepin on!

12. Mateo says:

Great show, as always! One question: you mentioned in the story that Eugenia Kelly married a peruvian diplomat, do you know the diplomat’s name?

13. Pol Llovet says:

It makes me sad that there isn’t any background tango music in this show. I was on the edge of my seat! If you ever do a remaster, I would recommend putting La Cumparsita (the theme song to tango, basically) behind a critical moment. For example:

14. Deary Darling says:

*staggering in completely intoxicated*

Your stuff should come with a warning label … the usual bit about “Do not operate heavy machinery” and “May feel lightheaded or dizzy”. Absolutely luscious : )

15. Herbert Fatcandle says:

Ted, I find your feedback to Nate a little condescending and pompous. Just my opinion though…