Posted In: News

Subscribe to memory palace news | View all News entries >>

The Memory Palace has joined Radiotopia

I started the Memory Palace in late 2008. Years ago. I spent the first few years trying to find a way to make it fit into public radio. I’d worked for Marketplace. I’d worked for NPR. I’d worked at local stations. I was good at those jobs. I hoped that I could turn The Memory Palace into one of those hour-long, weekend shows that could slide in between This American Life and hour fourteen of A Prairie Home Companion. That didn’t happen. I thought maybe it could air as a regular segment on an existing radio show. I thought maybe it could have it’s own little slot after a news cast once a week like some other tiny shows. Those didn’t happened. And after awhile, I gave up. On assuming I could make a living doing it. Not on the podcast. I loved the podcast. And, after I stopped trying to make it fit into a public-radio-shaped hole, it started to get better. It got more idiosyncratic. It got more me. And people seemed to like it.

In the meantime, it opened up other professional doors. So the podcast was both passion project and calling card. It was cool. It wasn’t my job. But it was cool. For a couple of years, it was a part of the Maximum Fun network and supported through donations and that helped keep things going, helped ensure that I could justify making time for it while I juggled other projects.

Then people started listening to podcasts. Then Serial came along and people figured out what that purple button was on their iPhones. Then there were all those “Like Serial? Try this…” articles and I was lucky enough to have the Memory Palace pop up now and then. There were suddenly a lot of people listening. It became clear, very quickly that the business was changing incredibly fast (like, it was suddenly an actual business) and, if I could find away to pull it off, I could stop juggling. I could do The Memory Palace as a full-time proposition and maybe, just maybe make a living doing it.

So I talked to everyone. Every remotely appropriate network. Every ad-sales specialist. I weighed every option. I explored staying independent. And I ended up at Radiotopia. I’m delighted that I have.

Radiotopia is a collective of many of the very best audio storytellers in the English-speaking world. That’s not promo-copy hyperbole. It is an All-Star team. I’m straight-up honored to be in their company.

And you should be too. Go to Radiotopia.fm. Listen. Your next favorite show is right there, waiting for you to find it.

Published On Jun 21, 2015

12 Comments on The Memory Palace has joined Radiotopia

1. Ian says:

Wonderful news Nate.
    I’ve had you in my feed of nearly 100 podcasts since, well, it must be close to the beginning. 2008 you say? I’ve been in constant awe of your skills and a little skip appears each time, despite the long periods between episodes, when I see your icon appear in my feed. What journey will Nate take me on today???

To know you’ve hooked up with Roman Mars and everyone else at Radiotopia is tremendous news. I’m not a fan of advertising and prefer the donations/subscription/patreon models but most people still think this should be free and they put up with advertising, so the Radiotopia model is maybe the best for the moment. And The Memory Palace is a perfect fit for Radiotopia. I’m excited for you but I’m also excited for all the people who’ll now discover your work and think, in subtle, different ways after they hear your shows. Congratulations 🙂

2. Amanda Smith says:

I am so happy to hear new episodes of your podcast! I have listened since the beginning and I just adore your style of storytelling. I am a history professor and sometimes I share your stories with my students. Thanks for the hard work!

3. Chad says:

Awesome, awesome news. Luckily I caught it the other day, but I believe Roman is going to announce it at the end of 99% this week. Really amazing that you’ve joined Radiotopia, and as a tremendously loyal fan of both TMP and everything Radiotopia, I’m glad you’ve found a home there. I know many of us in The Memory Palace audience were suggesting (demanding) and hoping you would land at Radiotopia, and to see it happen is truly great.

I haven’t listened to this first new episode, as I wanted to comment here first, but I’ve no doubt that it’s phenomenal. Cheers, sir.

4. Kati says:

Thank you so much for your podcast, Nate, each and every episode is a gem. They make me smile wistfully, they make me cry in compassion. Sometimes your stories make me love this world for all its things, big and small, sometimes they make want to run away from this civilisation into the wilderness. You are the best story-teller I’ve even came across.

5. Pingback: The Memory Palace Joins Radiotopia. (June Is A Great Month.) - PRX

6. Patty De La Cruz says:

I am ecstatic at this news!!!! I have been advocating for this for such a long time!!! These collaboration is EPIC!!!!!! I am so excited!!!

7. Jared Banks says:

Since the moment Radiotopia was announced during the 99% Invisible kickstarter, two things were obvious:

The Memory Palace and Radiotopia would be a great match.

Radiotopia wouldn’t be complete without The Memory Palace.

So glad reality caught up with what was so clear to I’m sure more than just me.

8. Roger says:

Hello… How does one make a donation to support memory palace? I’m glad you’re part of RadioTopia but I would like to support your podcast. Thank you

Hi, just click on Donate and follow the link. .

But, if you do donate through Radiotopia.fm, you can direct donations to me there too.

Thank you so much.

10. Pingback: The Memory Palace Joins Radiotopia. (June Is A Great Month.) | PRX

11. Mary says:

I have followed the Memory Palace since 2008. I have enjoyed it whenever I could find it. I have made donations to ensure it’s survival. I am so pleased that you have secured a platform a platform to launch Memory Palace. I will see you in Seattle! So excited!

12. Rev K says:

Very happy you are doing this, Nate. Will tell everyone to listen. Please continue.