Subscribe to the Podcast | View all EPISODES >> Every Night Ever

Every Night Ever

Jun 29, 2015

* Under the credits is Harlaamstrat 74 off of John Dankworth’s Modesty Blaise score.
* Then, we have the most obvious crickets/summer night song ever: the fantastic, perpetually delightful Green Arrow from Yo La Tengo’s I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One, which has soundtracked many crickety summer nights for me over the years.
* The cops roll in to a loop of the very beginning of the epic Ptah, the El Daoud, the title track to Alice Coltrane’s album from 1970.
* Then we have a mix of two improvisations from Charles Cohen’s “Brother I Prove You Wrong”: Cloud Hands and The Boy and the Snake Dance.
* There’s a brief dip into Dorian, by Fang Island.
* The jaunty accordion, typewriter thing is Biking is Better on Wintergatan’s eponymous album.

Notes
I researched this one primarily through old newspapers. The easiest place to find a number of them is to read the excellent site, The Museum of Hoaxes’ page on this event. Also: if you’re in the Atlanta area and ever want to have yourself a day, you can see the actual monkey. It’s preserved in a jar at the Georgia Bureau of Investigations museum in Decatur Georgia.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

19 Comments on Every Night Ever

1. mather says:

I hope there are better things to come!
    This a episode very sort and didn’t give the full MP experience. And I hope this was more of a teaser and not a new format for the show. I’ve been a long time lover of the the Memory Palace and Radiotopia.
    I have no problem with this ad(it was quick and stranded). But I have come to expect(and enjoy) a longer and more engrossing tale.

2. Jad says:

Nate —

Quick irrelevant fact check: the Atlanta Journal and the Atlanta Constitution were separate staffs and newspapers until 1982 and 2001, respectively. Source: I’m from Georgia.

I’m excited for the rest of the season. Keep it up.

Ah yes. As a kid who grew up in a house that got the Providence Journal in the morning and the Providence Evening Bulletin later in the day, but who came to get only the Providence Journal-Bulletin later in life, I shoulda caught that. Thanks for the correction.

4. Pete says:

I absolutely loved this episode
    I found you through the “what goes up” episode that aired on planet money and was hooked.

I wish I had found you sooner. Going through the episodes and trying to listen to them all.

Do any of the episodes has one awesome love story? I want to play that to someone that is not into podcasts… yet.

5. Superb as always. Your story telling is so fine I could see the events in my mind’s eye as you told them. Love the podcast!

6. sdnm says:

Nate, you don’t think you under-played the murdering-a-monkey bit of the story?

7. Ken Pimple says:

“Except the monkey.” Classic.

8. Lynne and Guy says:

Love all your podcasts, your telling of amazing stories….keep going!
    Cheers!

9. Pingback: Postmortem XXIX: Best Podcasts June 29-July 5 - The Timbre

10. Pingback: Podcast: The Memory Palace: Every Night Ever | The Daily Lombardi

11. Nate,

Great story.

I was losing my mind over the Yo La Tengo song. Haven’t heard it in forever so it was a double dose of nostalgia.

Thanks!

12. Audun says:

Love that you used Wintergatan. Great band, and fit the mood very well.

13. Megan says:

Seriously have fell in love with your stories. Wonderful part of my day when I get a chance to listen to them.
    Also, heard someone like your voice on Spotify commercial ad for RadioTopia, maybe it was you.
    Anyways. I hope you keep doing this for forever. I love the intricacies in the stories that I would otherwise never know about, so thank you!

I assume it was me. Radiotopia podcasts (like mine) are up on Spotify (in certain markets, from what I understand; eventually it’ll be everywhere).

15. lmm says:

I’m with sdnm: While I have loved your show, making light of murdering a monkey for a stupid joke crosses a line for me.

“Which seems extreme: why feel bad about being the monkey hoax guy?” The flippant tone of this is really offensive.

16. Pingback: Every Night Ever | The Podcast Club

17. Pingback: The 50 Best Podcast Episodes of 2015 - The Timbre

18. Diana Hoskins says:

Love your stories however could not find any humor in the telling of 3 bored guys buying a defenseless animal, killing it, skinning it, painting it green and pulling one over on the townsfolk.

19. Jesus says:

Pretty fucked up thing to do to a monkey.