Posted In: News

Subscribe to memory palace news | View all News entries >>

The Memory Palace is Now Independent

The Memory Palace has left the Maximum Fun network.
It’s not much of a story. The Memory Palace was always a bit of an outlier within the network, in terms of tone, which made it hard to find the sorts of cross-promotional opportunities that exist within other networks. There are some other, equally boring reasons, but none of them were personal. From top to bottom, the folks at Max Fun are the best. Extraordinarily nice. Walk the walk. The real deal. It’s just time to see what else is out there.

So. A FAQ:

I’m a Maximum Fun subscriber. Does this mean you won’t be getting any of my Maximum Contribution?
Yes. But: I strongly encourage you to continue to subscribe to and support Max Fun because, quite simply, you’d be hard pressed to find a more righteous, for-profit company anywhere. They have a vision for supporting creative professionals that is 100% worth supporting. Throw in the fact that the work they produce is also top notch, and I’ll tell you straight: you should support Max Fun. You should continue to subscribe. I do.

Does this mean The Memory Palace is done?
Nope. There are more episodes on the way.

Like, how many more?
Many. The Memory Palace will be a full-time proposition starting this summer. Just how frequently it’ll be produced is TBD, but it’s going to be a huge difference from the way things have worked up till now. I’m currently figuring out the schedule, trying to sort out how I’ll need to change the way I work so I can get more pieces out into the world without sacrificing the things that I think make the podcast itself work.

Are you joining another network?
Dude, I don’t know. I’m just figuring it out now. Right now, I’m a free agent.

Ok, whatever. Bottom line: what’s in it for me?
Do you like the Memory Palace?

Yeah. I mean, pretty much. It’s cool.
No matter how any of this shakes out, I’m committed to making more episodes. So, if you like the podcast, you should like that. Maybe there’ll be an ad up front. Maybe there’ll be a new network. But it’ll be the same show.

What if I want to give you money in the meantime?
Then you’re amazing. Then you’re incredibly kind. You can donate with the tip jar button on the site. I’ll send you a thank you postcard.

When will we hear about future plans?
Soon? When I get them figured out. If you’d like to be kept abreast of such things, you can follow me on Twitter, @thememorypalace or on Facebook. Or check this space.

Will I need to change my feed or resubscribe?
No. Everything will work as normal.

Published On Mar 03, 2015

20 Comments on The Memory Palace is Now Independent

1. Bruce says:

For the love of god, and all that is holy! Contcat Roman Mars and get up in that Radiotopia joint.

2. Jonathan says:

I’m a huge fan of the podcast and excited to hear we can expect some more consistently posted episodes. Thanks for keeping us up to speed.

3. Jared says:

I agreed with Bruce. Radiotopia was made for The Memory Palace. They should be offering you every sweet deal imaginable so that The Memory Palace and Radiotopia can join forces.

4. Jared says:

And it goes without saying, I’m a huge fan of the podcast, so I’m excited to see what’s next.

5. Liam says:

Being such an appreciator of the show when I first caught wind of it, I can recall being consistently confused every time I remembered that it isn’t on Radiotopia network. Which it fully deserves to be, if that’s in the cards. The peanut gallery has spoken.

6. Evan Stein says:

I agree with Bruce. As far as tone, content, and style; you’ve always belonged with Radiotopia. I look forward to the next episode and everything that comes after.

7. Kevin says:

I agree with Bruce: Radiotopia is calling!

8. Jack says:

Have you thought of patreon? I would pledge the shit out of memory palace if you signed up there.

9. Justine says:

I second the Radiotopia gig. Please! We need more Memory Palace. We do.

10. Maxwell says:

I have no idea why Radiotopia hasn’t snatched your show up. Even with all of those amazing shows on that network (and I cannot stress that enough), you’d still be at the top.

11. Dee Cunniffe says:

Memory Palace is my favorite podcast. I’d love a MP book – maybe do one as a fundraiser?

12. Lauren says:

Radio – TOPIA!!!! Your next place? Totally agree with the others. Your work is so beautiful. Thank you for keeping it up!

13. Dee Cunniffe says:

If you’re interested in doing a book Nate I’d love to help out – I’ve designed loads of books in my years as a designer. I’ve actually been designing a MP book in my head for years 🙂 An old fashioned almanac kinda thing.

14. Rhoda says:

Thanks for every episode u have made and every one to come. Ill listen to them in whatever form u post them. Love ur work. If they were a dollar each on iTunes id totally pay, The Memory Palace is that spacial to me.

15. David Harvey says:

I second the sentiment that you belong on the Radiotopia network. It would make everyone’s offerings better.

16. Audun says:

I came here to say Radiotopia, but I’m obviously late to the party. The Memory Palace belongs there.

17. JC says:

I second everything said here but particularly the comments regarding Radiotopia. I emailed them when I donated to their kickstarter to ask them to steal you away … and now you’re free!!!

18. Andrew Ryder says:

Radiotopia all the way!! Great podcast, amazing narrative / storytelling style. Can’t wait to have episodes more often!

19. Thank you for all your wonderful podcasts! I shared The Memory Palace with my super small audience over at my blog. And, btw, I agree with everyone on Radiotopia. Good luck to you!

20. M says:

I just binged listened to a ton of episodes and when you mentioned leaving max fun I really thought the next thing out of your mouth was going to be “to join Radiotopia” I mean obviously there are so many things that go into something like that and I admittedly have no idea what those things are…but from a listener perspective it feels totally right. Love your podcast and can’t wait to get through all the archives. Thanks for making this and I will continue to listen wherever you end up.