Subscribe to the Podcast | View all EPISODES >> 400000

400,000 Stars

Mar 23,2014

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

21 Comments on 400,000 Stars

1. Casey says:

Enjoyed the episode as always, Nate. Thank you.

2. Jocelyn Bennett says:

How have I just discovered this…and by accident?! Truly one of the best podcasts I’ve ever listened to – well written, beautifully presented, unique stories, inspiring.
    This was my first episode – I’m now “binge listening”.

Thank you – I’ll be recommending this to everyone I know and supporting you!

3. Pingback: 400,000 Stars | The Memory Palace | Blog of too many things

4. Bern Bradley says:

LOVE the show. It aggravates me when it ends with no music, no goodbye no nothing. I’ve heard everyone of them. I was introduced to you by SLATE. As many of these as I’ve heard I STILL get mad at the end because there IS no end and I can’t wait for the next one.

5. Chris says:

I’d love to know what that acoustic song was near the end of the episode.

6. Stephen says:

Reminds me of William Herschel’s sister Caroline, who was one of the great early charters of the night sky.

7. Larry says:

This reminds me of the anecdote I read about in T-Minus: The Race to the Moon, in which the calculations for the early Soviet moon shots were done by women rather than computers. Nothing wrong with their brains; in fact, better than my own in that respect.

8. Heather Hardison says:

Loved this episode. It made me tear up.

9. Dana says:

Thank you. Yours is a podcast to be savoured.

10. Pingback: The Memory Palace of Nate DiMeo: A Podcast for the Ages | The Rusted Key

11. Have you ever thought about publishing an ebook or guest
    authoring on other websites? I have a blog based on the
    same ideas you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my viewers would appreciate
    your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to send me an email.

12. Hi. Can i Share 400,000 Stars | The Memory Palace
    to my Facebook page?

13. Jb Smith says:

Incredibly well written, beautifully descriptive. This really give s you a sense of space and place.

14. Pingback: Extra Credit! | A Shove in the Right Direction

15. Pingback: Cosmos' Sisters of the Sun Hops on the Sassy Train

16. Dave says:

Not sure if this is just happening to me, but at the 1:47 mark the episode skips straight to the end. Same thing happens if I try to jump to any point after 1:47.

How are you listening to it? Via what platform?

18. Dave says:

I was listening to it streaming directly from this page, but it is working fine today, so I’m sure it was a fluke on my end. Thanks for checking in.

19. sartrewasamoron says:

Thanks for this interesting fact. However interesting this is, the fact remains that the women still served an extremely menial function, simple math, and did not direct or lead the research, they just number crunched as set up by those doing the actual discovery.
    Instead of making me excited that women had accomplished something, it saddened me to think that they were still menial labor. Prior to calculators, EVERY student could reliably perform simple mathmatical functions, or they did not graduate from high school.

20. Maureen Greenbaum says:

So glad I found theMemory Palace podcast.
    I subscribed to it on iTunes and put it on my iPhone for when I take a walk and on my AudioFlood for when I swim (swimoutlet.com/swiminc).
    This episode was great because it spoke about the original computer- people (many woman ) who calculated.
    I like it because it talks about computers like the second definition at
    note also Webster’s 1828 Dictionary
    Quick definitions from WordNet (computer)

▸ noun: a machine for performing calculations automatically
    ▸ noun: an expert at calculation (or at operating calculating machines)
    The episode was so interesting I Googled for more and found