Subscribe to the Podcast | View all EPISODES >> Episode 50

Jan 29,2013

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

28 Comments on Fifty Words Written After Learning the Arctic Bowhead Whale Can Live up to Two Hundred Years

1. Wesley says:

Unbelievable! I waited a month and a half, hoping to get a memory palace update and what was released on the iTunes podcast was a podcast that lasted slightly more than a minute. This is what results from a month and a half of effort? Ridiculous.

2. God Almighty says:

Hmmm, afte reviewing the facts I have decided that Wesley is right, and I am herby debiting him an addtional minute and a half of life to him so that he won’t feel his time was shorted. In return I ask him to complain less about things he gets for free.

Now I have to go set up the incoming call system for the Super Bowl. You all be nice out there!

G.

3. JJT says:

You have some nerve wasting an entire month in jury duty when We, the public, demand that you release free podcasts of a certain length and “unRidiculousness”. UnCease and unDesist or we shall be forced to contact our solicitors.

And by solicitors, I mean cats wearing rumpled suits and tiny bowler hats.

4. Happy 50th, Nate! Anxious to hear the next 50 (even the short ones)!

5. Jenn says:

Well… Not sure what Wesley’s problem is. I thought it was just as poignant as all the other beautifully succinct episodes of this podcast. Keep it up, Nate! 😉

6. Pingback: Whale Tail « Chamblee54

7. Angela says:

Dear Wesley,
    I’m sure you’re swell, and meant no harm in what you said. BUT
    I can’t help being inclined to softly pat you on the back leaving behind a sign that says
    “I appreciate very little and feel I deserve everything.
    Please procede to kick me.”
    But my childhood is over, so I will refrain from such inclinations and instead say:
    Dear Wesley,
    I hope somehow you will recover from your disbelief and sensations of ridiculousness.

Kind regards,
    Angela

8. Danny says:

Seems like a month well spent to me. Keep it up Nate

9. Larry says:

It’s a free podcast; be thankful this happens at all, Wesley.

10. Jess says:

I liked the episode–it was kind of like flash fiction. I actually listened to it twice.

What was the source for the 50 words? A newspaper? A speech?

11. Larry says:

Dur, now I get it. 50th episode, 50 words, nice.

12. Maia says:

I am truly in love with your podcast. I’ve listened for years, and this is the first time I’ve been moved to comment. Thank you for such a beautiful piece – it made my day so much better.

13. Laura says:

Really great! Thank you so much!

14. McWhiskers says:

I had never listened to your podcasts and am still not sure what they are about. But this made me so sad because it summarizes what humans do to the world around them. I will remember it and use it as an opening quote when I write my phd… Thank you for that!

15. charlie says:

What’s the last sentence on the episode?

16. Raymond says:

As is the case in life, quality quite often is more important than quantity, and I think it takes a “special kind” of mind to feel short changed by a free service.

At the very least I wish my Writting had 1% of Nate’s sublime beauty.

Keep up the good work Memory Palace.

17. Ferule Flop says:

Poetry. Very refreshing. I hope you come up with more of these gems in the future. Like all good poems, I just keep listening to it over and over again. Again, I say very refreshing.

18. Pingback: "Little Moments of Wonder": A Conversation with Nate DiMeo of The Memory Palace | US History Scene

19. Laura says:

Beautiful. Tears.

20. Matthew says:

What a wonderful episode. I was really moved by the sadness of the shrinking population followed by happiness of the growth. Despite its short length, like a well written haiku, the limited number of words tell a story well beyond what the length would suggest.

21. Rae says:

This is so moving, Nate. It reminds me of this whale I’ve been hearing about whose call is at a frequency that other whales can’t understand… It is such a beautiful, lonely story…

22. Pingback: Podcast Suggestions {Earth Day Edition} -

23. Ginny says:

Beautiful. Like a haiku. Thank you.

24. Kathleen kosel says:

Kinda like the short but memorable gettysburg address. Who remembers the other speeches?
    i loved the well chosen 50 words…very haunting take on our view of earth and its lifeforms

25. Dave says:

This was brief but wonderful. I had to immediately listen to it a second time.

26. C.K. Cutright says:

This was short and sweet. To those complaining of the brevity, maybe you should try to write something so precise and elegant. I doubt you could do it. I know I couldn’t. I found this page while searching for a transcript. I was introduced to this podcast when I heard these few words. I’ve spent the last several hours listening to all the podcasts I could find, and have now subscribed to it. However, I doubt many will be able to stand up to this piece.