Subscribe to the Podcast | View all EPISODES >> This Ungainly Fowl

This Ungainly Fowl

Oct 16,2009

The music is from an album by Sonna. Who were from Baltimore, I think. I don’t know what the album is called (I’ve long since lost the cd case and it doesn’t have a name on the actual disc, as was the fashion, lo about 2000, when it came out on Temporary Residence). It’s a nice little cd. I had a lovely time once watching them play in my friend Bea’s living room.

There is obviously tons and tons written about Poe and his death. The single most useful thing I found, however, was this sort of literature survey put out by an outfit called the Edgar Allan Poe Historical Society. m.

Tags: , , , , , ,

10 Comments on This Ungainly Fowl

1. Teresa says:

Well that one was particularly depressing! I love these episodes, though. Please keep up the good work!

2. James says:

Very uplifting.

I had never heard that though, another good story. Thanks.

3. Election day and Halloween. Not sure which is more frightening now.

4. Colin says:

very sad indeed.

please keep up the posting….

5. Pingback: » Vote or Die… or, “and” Death Reference Desk

6. Eric says:

It is officially illegal to talk about the city of Baltimore without also mentioning “The Wire”. Well done! This is my favorite one yet.

7. Diane says:

I love your programs. Listened to the Poe program today and was surprised to learn the details of his death.

8. Mark Jones says:

Nate, why? Why the “spoiler alert” that actually ruins Murders in Rue Morgue without contributing anything to your piece!?!

9. Rob Moore says:

There is no historical consensus as to what happened to Edgar Allan Poe during the last few weeks of his life.

The kidnapping theory (or “Cooping” as it is known) is just one of many. Why would you deliver this theory as fact? Why not do an episode on “Cooping” and then mention that theories suggest this may have happened to Poe?

The Smithsonian has a great article on the various theories surround his demise.

10. Love the podcast! Just wanted to help out and say the Sonna song is “Untitled I” from the Travels In Constants Vol. 6.