Subscribe to the Podcast | View all EPISODES >> High Above Lake Michigan

High Above Lake Michigan

Jun 16, 2009

There are two Erik Satie pieces in here: Avant-dernières Pensées 1 & 2. Then you’ve got a little “Rainbow,” by Battles. And then at the end, “En Gallop,” by Joanna Newsom (which I felt lame about looping so heavily because I know it so well and know that it’ll be distracting to those who do. But then I convinced myself that a loop works a little bit like a Ferris Wheel and felt marginally better).

I’m a full-on Columbian Exhibition of 1893 nerd. Have a ticket to it framed on our dining room wall. For all of your Chicago World’s Fair fact-needs, The Devil in the White City is the place to go. For your heartbreak and beauty needs, go to Jimmy Corrigan: the Smartest Kid on Earth, by Chris Ware.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments on High Above Lake Michigan

1. dan says:

awesome episode, and i really enjoyed hearing joanna newsom as the background music.

2. Stella says:

Thanks for the great episode! But can you settle an argument for me? Is the ridiculous idea of the 2,000+ foot log structure built “on top” of a replica of Abe’s boyhood home or “topped” with a replica of our mythic president’s boyhood home? And from where did you pull this great bit of historical trivia?

Glad you liked it. So, basically you have this giant, Eiffel Tower-like tower built entirely out of logs (so it itself is log-cabinny) and at the top of that tower, there’s a log cabin. I can’t remember where I first heard about that particular detail, but I confirmed it (though it was slightly different from the way I’d heard it years ago) in “the devil in the white city.” Which is great.

Also, the answers to many “where did you pull this…” questions will be found in the “music, footnotes, ephemera” page on the site.

thanks for listening.

4. Randall says:

Thoroughly enjoyed this and all memory palace webcasts thus far. I am currently reading “the devil in the white city,”–a decision inspired by this–and agree with you that is is great.

5. Nice lookin blog. Thanks for the info, I look forward to more.

6. Alec says:

When I learned the Ferris Wheel had been moved to Lincoln Park I assumed it was moved into the park too but it was actually moved into the neighborhood at what appears to be Hampden and Wrightwood Streets.
    The church on the right still stands:,_Chicago.jpg

There is also a video of the wheel in motion in Lincoln Park complete with a Chicago cable car passing by:,_grande_roue_(1896)_-_Lumi%C3%A8re_Brothers_(Catalog_no._338).webm

7. Arcadiy Ruska says:

I’m really curious about the proposed idea for the giant slide. Is there any more information on that which you’d be able to offer? Any names of people involved, proposed name for the design?

8. Pingback: Ferris Wheelers day off | 366 pictures by Simon Jones