Subscribe to the Podcast | View all EPISODES >> The Brothers Booth

The Brothers Booth

May 22,2009

The first two pieces are two different versions of Aphex Twin’s “Jynwythek Ylow.” The first is by a chamber ensemble called Alarm Will Sound from an album in which they do chamber music versions of Aphex Twin compositions–which sounds super-lame but is actually pretty great. The second version is the original of the Drukqs album. The piano piece is “Opus 23″ by Dustin O’Halloran.

I’ve read about the Booths in several places (you kind of can’t avoid them), but I think I fell for Edwin’s story during the visit Sarah Vowell takes to see his statue in Gramercy Park in “Assasination Vacation.”

Tags: , , , , , , ,

16 Comments on The Brothers Booth

1. kelly coyne says:

Thank you so much for this series! I’ve just listened to them all in a row and enjoyed every single one, but I think this one is my favorite so far. No, or maybe my fave is Ben Franklin’s death ray. Really nice stuff.

2. lowman says:

love love love love it.
    never stop.

3. PW says:

Very cool series. I’m a history teacher and love hearin about this sort of historical bits that fell through the cracks. I’m already looking forward to using your lil nippers piece for my class during our industrial revolution unit next year.

I’m trying to figure if you have a history degree and use it in your full time career or just some dude that loves to do historical research.

this kind of social history is the reason I got into the business. keep it up

Dear PW,

Re: “I’m trying to figure if you have a history degree and use it in your full time career or just some dude”

The answer is, just some dude.

nate

5. Nathan says:

Excellent stuff mate. Keep up the good work. This episode is definitely my fav of the series so far. Cheers!

6. Jaymes says:

You break my heart everytime… but in a good way! This is everything I love about history and so much more. For me (and I don’t get out much) you have reinvigorated the art of story telling.

I stop with the props and just say thanks…

7. molitorious says:

Truly inspiring and well-crafted stories.
    You make learning fun..no really you do.

Keep it up man.
    Great stuff.

8. Celeste says:

I loved this one! I’d never heard about the rest of the Booth family before.

9. Pingback: Edwin Booth as Othello (1890) « Young New-York

10. Pingback: this is the memory palace… | alexandrawrote

11. Pingback: this is the memory palace… | Alexandra Wrote

12. Marlo S. says:

Just discovered you – via PRX XM – wow. Psyched. Thanks. Will be listening.

13. Alison says:

I’ve just discovered The Memory Palace and it’s my new favourite thing. Your delivery is so good that I could actually see the audience standing and applauding Edwin Booth.

14. Meg says:

Found your podcast through Stuff You Missed in History Class.

I’m in love with the way you deliver the stories. SYMHC is factual and entertaining, but The Memory Palace is heartfelt and conveys the wonderment/joy/despair of the people in the stories so well you’d have to be dead inside not to feel it.

This one literally had me in tears.

Not so good while I’m stuffing envelopes at work, but well worth it. 😉

Thank you.

15. Clair says:

I cried.

16. jnandi says:

Drew Barrymore? Couldn’t you think of any modern Shakespearean actor for comparison?